When you have enabled the desired language, you are ready to translate existing content, or create new content in a specific language. “Content” here can be for example pages or blocks on an EPiServer CMS website, or product-related content on an e-commerce site. When a language is enabled in EPiServer, content properties that are not global will be available for translation.
To prevent editors from accidentally creating content in the wrong language, access rights can be set for different languages. If this is implemented, you will only be able to edit and create content in languages to which you have access.
Switching language and viewing language versions
- To switch language in CMS, go to the Sites tab in the navigation pane and select the desired language to work with. The user interface will reload displaying the page tree in the selected language.
- You can also switch languages by selecting the desired language in the Header, when editing translated content in the All Properties view. The user interface will reload displaying the content in the selected language.
- When translating content, you can use the Versions gadget in the to see the different language versions for the content. By selecting a language in the version list you can also switch to editing in another language using the switch option in the notification bar.
- Using the preview feature in the “eye” at the top, you can view and edit content in one of the languages that are available for translation on the website.
- You can search for all language versions for some content by typing a keyword in the search box for Pages or Blocks in the Asset pane.
- It can sometimes be necessary to delete one or more language versions for content. This can be done in the Versions gadget by selecting Delete Version or Delete All [language] Versions. Note that this action cannot be undone.
Depending on your implementation, some properties may be “globally shared” and can only be edited in the master language. These properties will be marked as non-editable when editing the content in another language. Switch to the default language if you need to edit these. The default language is usually the first language listed next to Languages in the header when editing in the All Properties view.
Translating existing content
The Sites tab displays the languages available for content creation, with the default language for the website at the top. Languages that have been enabled on the website but are not enabled for editing, are shown in italics.
Translating a page
By default, all pages in the tree structure will be displayed in the Pages tab, including those that are not translated. These will be shown in italics. To only see pages for the chosen language, select Show Content in [language] Only.
Do the following to translate a page:
- Under the Sites tab in the left pane, select the desired target language for translation. The interface will reload and you will be taken to the Pages tab.
- In the page tree, select the desired page to translate, and then click Translate in the notification bar at the top. Or, select Translate in the context menu for the page in the page tree.
- Edit the content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish the translated page.
Translating a block
Language versions for blocks can be accessed from Blocks in the assets pane. By default, all blocks will be displayed, including those that are not translated. These will be shown in italics. To only see blocks for the chosen language, select Show Content in [language] Only.
Do the following to translate a block:
- Under the Sites tab in the left pane, select the desired target language for translation, and the interface will reload.
- Expand the Assets pane and select Blocks.
- In the block structure, select the desired block to translate, and then the Translate option in the context menu.
- Edit the content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish the translated block.
Creating new content in another language
To create content in a different language than the “master” language, select the desired language under the Sites tab. Then select the page branch or folder where you want to create the content, and create a new page or a new block. Add content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish.
Commerce and multiple languages
Refer to Multi-language management in the Commerce section for information on how to work with multiple languages if you have EPiServer Commerce installed.
- Refer to Multi-language management for information on how to work with multiple languages in EPiServer.
- Refer to the Languages add-on for more information on how to extend the functionality in EPiServer for translating content into multiple languages.
EPiServer User Guide update 14-1 | Released: 2014-10-29 | Copyright © EPiServer AB | Send feedback to us