When you have enabled the desired language, you are ready to translate existing content, or create new content in a specific language. Content here can be, for example, pages or blocks on an Episerver CMS website, or product-related content on an e-commerce site. When a language is enabled in Episerver, content properties that are not global are available for translation.
To prevent editors from accidentally creating content in the wrong language, access rights can be set for different languages. If this is implemented, you can only edit and create content in languages to which you have access.
- To switch language in CMS, go to the Sites tab in the navigation pane and select the desired language to work with. The user interface reloads, displaying the page tree in the selected language.
- You can also switch languages by selecting the desired language in the Header, when editing translated content in the All Properties view. The user interface reloads, displaying the content in the selected language.
- When translating content, you can use the Versions gadget in the assets paneA customizable placeholder for assets, where you can drag-and-drop images, blocks, files, or products into a CMS page, see non-visible settings for the content. to see the different language versions for the content. By selecting a language in the version list, you can also switch to editing in another language using the switch option in the notification bar.
- Use the compare view to translate in one pane while seeing the original version in the other pane at the same time.
- Using the preview feature in the “eye” at the top, you can view and edit content in one of the languages that are available for translation on the website.
- You can search for all language versions for some content by typing a keyword in the search field for Pages or Blocks in the Asset pane.
- It can sometimes be necessary to delete one or more language versions for content. This can be done in the Versions gadget by selecting Delete Version or Delete All [language] Versions.
Note that this delete action cannot be undone.
The Sites tab displays the languages available for content creation, with the default language for the website at the top. Languages that have been enabled on the website but are not enabled for editing, are shown in italics.
By default, all pages in the tree structure are displayed in thePagestab, including those that are not translated. These are shown in italics. To only see pages for the chosen language, select Show Content in [language] Only.
Do the following to translate a page:
- Under the Sites tab in the left pane, select the desired target language for translation. The interface reloads, and you are taken to the Pages tab.
- In the page tree, select the desired page to translate, and then click Translate in the notification bar at the top. Or, select Translate in the context menu for the page in the page tree.
- Edit the content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish the translated page.
Language versions for blocks can be accessed from Blocks in the assets pane. By default, all blocks are displayed, including those that are not translated. These are shown in italics. To only see blocks for the chosen language, select Show Content in [language] Only.
Do the following to translate a block:
- Under the Sites tab in the left pane, select the desired target language for translation, and the interface reloads.
- Expand the Assets pane and select Blocks.
- In the block structure, select the desired block to translate, and then the Translate option in the context menu.
- Edit the content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish the translated block.
Depending on your implementation, some properties may be “globally shared” and can only be edited in the master language. These properties are marked as non-editable when editing the content in another language. Switch to the default language if you need to edit these. The default language is usually the first language listed next to Languages in the header when editing in the All Properties view.
To create content in a language other than the “master” language, select the desired language under the Sites tab. Then select the page branch or folder where you want to create the content, and create a new page or a new block. Add content as desired and follow the normal content publishing flow to save and publish.
Commerce and multiple languages
Refer to Multi-language management in the Commerce