This topic is intended for administrators and developers with administration access rights in Episerver.
For easier and safer maintenance, it is recommended to base access rights on user groups rather than individual users.
You have the following options for administering user credentials:
- Manage users and user groups from the CMS administration view.
- Manage users and user groups in Windows.
- Develop a customized role and membership provider.
The first option is most often used by smaller organizations with few editors, whereas the other options apply to large organizations with many editors. You can also combine these options.
Users and groups created in the Episerver CMS admin view are only available from here, they are not accessible from Windows. Users created in Windows cannot be added to groups created in Episerver. See the technical documentation on Episerver World for more information on how to work with membership and role providers.
When you select Administer Groups in admin view, all groups are shown irrespective of the provider used on the website. The group provider is shown to the right of the group name.
Click Add to create a user group, enter a name, and save your changes.
Click Delete to delete a user group. Note that you can only delete user groups created from CMS. Deleting a user group cannot be undone.
It is not possible to change the name of an existing group. Instead, delete the group and add a new one.
To add a user in the CMS, do the following:
- On the Admin tab, select Create User.
- For the account to work, a user name, password and email address must be specified and the account must be set to "Active".
- Select the user groups the user should belong to.
- Under the Display Options tab, you can specify a default language for the user interface (optional) and touch support.
- Save the settings.
To edit user settings, search for the user under Search User/Group and then click a user name. Properties can only be modified for users that have been created via self-registration or via Create User in CMS.
To delete a user, search for the user under Search User/Group, click a user name to edit the settings, and click Delete. Note that deleting a user cannot be undone.
Use the Search User/Group option to display groups, and click the desired group name to see members.