The suggestion list becomes more precise as a user types more characters.
If a site visitor selects a suggestion, Episerver Find executes a query using that term. Autocomplete speeds up the search experience when it correctly predicts words being typed.
Sources of autocomplete suggestions
Episerver Find provides two sources of autocomplete suggestions.
- Manually entered, on the Find Optimization screen's Autocomplete tab.
- Automatically generated, based on previous searches that resulted in at least one hit.
Manually-added suggestions take precedence over system-generated ones. For example, if a search for polic results in one user clicking a search result that uses police, Episerver Find makes police an autocomplete suggestion for polic. But, if you manually add policy as a suggestion, that term appears above police in the suggestion list.
- Base autocomplete suggestions on search keywords for targeted content. For example, if your website sells bicycles, add the following suggestions to appear when a site visitor types ro.
- For a new website, manually add autocomplete suggestions for important words. Even if no previous searches for them have been made, the suggestions direct site visitors to appropriate pages.
Adding, editing and deleting autocomplete phrases
You can define autocomplete suggestions for a specific language and a specific website. To create a suggestion, follow these steps.
- From edit viewA section of the user interface where you edit content items, such as pages and blocks. To access edit view, log in and select CMS > Edit. (See admin view for comparison.), select Find > Manage > Optimization.
- In the Phrase field, enter autocomplete suggestions (one at a time).
The Autocomplete screen displays only suggestions that were manually added on this screen—it does not display suggestions based on previous, successful searches.
Use context menu options to edit or delete an autocomplete suggestion.
Changing the order of autocomplete phrases
The order of suggestions in the Autocomplete list determines their sequence in a search field's suggestion list.
To change the order of suggestions, follow these steps: