IMPORTANT: Starting from release 8.60, the ListSummary server control was replaced by the FrameworkUI: <ektron:ContentView> templated server control. If you are already using the ListSummary server control, you can continue to do so, but Ektron recommends using current versions of functionality.
The ListSummary server control displays a list of content in a selected folder on a Web page. Optionally, the display can include content in all subfolders of the selected folder. When added to a template and visited, a ListSummary looks like this.
It displays each content block’s title and summary information. You can modify the display to suit your needs by modifying its properties.
NOTE: To display a List Summary on a PageBuilder page, use the ListSummary widget.
NOTE: In contrast to a List Summary, a ContentList server control displays selected content items from any Ektron folder. See also: ContentList
You must have installed the server controls. See Installing server controls into Visual Studio Toolbox.
- In Visual Studio, choose View > Toolbox.
- Click the Ektron server control tab to display the server controls.
- Drag the ListSummary server control and drop it into the desired location on the page.
NOTE: You also can place the cursor on the page where you want the server control, then double click the server control that you want.
<CMS:ListSummary ID="ListSummary1" runat="server" />
- Click on
ListSummaryin the code to display and modify the control’s properties using the Properties window of Visual Studio. The page is updated as you modify the property values.
The following are Ektron-specific server controla server control uses API language to interact with the CMS and Framework UI to display the output. A server control can be dragged and dropped onto a Web form and then modified. properties. For information about native .NET properties such as font, height, width and border style, use Visual Studio® help.
- AddText (String)
Override the control’s default text for the Add Content menu item.
For example, you have a News website. You could change Add Content to Add News Item.
- CacheInterval (Double)
The number of seconds that a server controla server control uses API language to interact with the CMS and Framework UI to display the output. A server control can be dragged and dropped onto a Web form and then modified.’s data is cached. The default is 0 (zero). For example, if you want to cache the data for 5 minutes, set to 300. See also: Caching with server controls.
NOTE: If the
EnablePagingproperty is set to True, the
CacheIntervalproperty is disabled.
- ContentParameter (String)
Checks the QueryString for this value and replaces the list summary with a content block when specified. Leave blank to always display the list summary.
- ContentType (String)
Determines the type of content that appears in the list summary. The default is Content. Choices are:
- AllTypes. All content types for the given folder
- Content. A list of contenttypes of content include HTML, XML Smart Forms, forms, polls, surveys, DMS documents, Office documents, multimedia, blogs, Web calandars, discussion boards, assets, and content imported from Sharepoint. items.
- Forms. Forms appear in the list summary
- Archive_Content. Archivethe state of content upon reaching its end date. What happens next is determined by your choice at the content's Schedule tab > Action on End Date options field. Choices are * Archive and remove from site (expire) * Archive and remain on site * Add to CMS Refresh Reportd content blocks appear in the list summary
- Archive_Forms. Archived forms appear in the list summary
- Assets. Assets, such as offices documents, appear in the list summary
- Archive_Assets. Archived assets appear in the list summary
- LibraryItem. Library items appear in the list summary
- Multimedia. Multimedia items appear in the list summary
- Archive_Media. Archived multimedia items appear in the list summary
- NonLibraryContent. All content types except library items.
- DiscussionTopic. Forum topics appear in the list summary.
- CatalogEntry. Displays all catalog entries (products) for a specified catalog.
- DisplayXslt (String)
Determines how information on the page appears
- None. Databind only
- ecmNavigation. Lists the title of every content block in the folder.
- ecmTeaser. Lists the title of every content block in the folder plus the content summarya short description that supplements a content item's title on a Web page. Content authors compose a summary when creating or editing content. Server controls and widgets can display a content title and summary to attract readers to the full story. Summaries can include images and text formatting..
- Path to Custom Xslt. If desired, enter a relative or absolute path to an Xslt that determines the display of the page.
WARNING! Files stored in the
siteroot\Workareafolder are overwritten (or deleted) when you upgrade Ektron. To avoid problems, copy the default file to a folder outside the
siteroot\workareafolder then edit it. If there is no default file, create the file outside the
siteroot\workareafolder. Next, in this property, enter the path to that file relative to the site root folder.
NOTE: If you enter a valid EkML file at the MarkupLanguage property, the Displayxslt property value is ignored.
- DoInitFill (Boolean)
By default, Fill occurs during the Page_Init event. Set to false if you want to postpone the fill-action until later. In this case, Fill is automatically called during the Page Render event. You might do this if you need to set or change a property on the control in code-behind and have it render with your changes shown.
- EnablePaging (Boolean)
This property, in conjunction with the MaxNumber property, lets site visitors view an unlimited number of items while controlling the amount of screen space. The MaxNumber property limits the number of items displayed. If you set this property to True, and the number of items exceeds MaxNumber, navigation aids appear below the last item, allowing the visitor to go to the next screen.
See example below.
So, for example, if a List Summary has 9 items and the
MaxResultsproperty is set to 3, the screen displays only the first 3 items. When the site visitor clicks [Next], he sees items 4, 5 and 6, and so on.
- True. Use paging feature
- False. Ignore paging feature
NOTE: If the
EnablePagingproperty is set to True, the
CacheIntervalproperty is disabled.
- FolderID (Long)
The folder that contains the items which appear in the list summary. See also: Browsing your Ektron site using CMS Explorer. The
Recursiveproperty determines whether content blocks in this folder’s child folders also appear.
- GetAnalyticsData (Boolean)
Set this property to True if you want the following information for each content in the list. Returns Content View Count, Content Rating, Content Rating Average. Create your own XSLT styles to display this data.
IMPORTANT: This property provides reliable data only when the Business Analytics Feature is on. Analyzing Websites.
- GetHtml (Boolean)
Set to True to display the HTML body for all content in the list summary. For example, to display content inside a Web server control such as a GridView.
- True. Get and display HTML for each content block in the list summary
- False. Do not get and display HTML.
- Hide (Boolean)
Hides or displays the output of the control in design time and run time.
- True. Hide the control output.
- False. Display the control output.
- IncludeIcons (Boolean)
Choose whether to display icons next to the list summary’s links.
IMPORTANT: This property works only when ecmSummary or ecmTeaser are used in the
DisplayXsltproperty. When the
[$ImageIcon]variable is used in an EkML file and that file is assigned to the
MarkupLanguageproperty, this property acts as True. See also: Ektron Markup Language.
- Language (Integer)
Set a language for viewing content; shows results in design-time (in Visual Studio) and at run-time (in a browser).
- LinkTarget (String)
Determines the type of window that appears when you click a link in the server control.
- _Self (default). Opens in same window.
- _Top. Opens in parent window.
- _Blank. Opens in new window.
- _Parent. Opens in the parent frame.
- MarkupLanguage (String)
Enter the template markup file (
.ekml) that controls the display of this server control. To use the default .ekml file, leave this field blank.
The default file follows this pattern:
\siteroot\Workarea\template\this object\objectname.ekml. For example,
To customize the default .ekml file, copy it to a folder outside the
siteroot\workareafolder and edit it. Next, in this property, enter the path to that file relative to the site root folder.
See also: Ektron Markup Language
If you enter a valid EkML file at the MarkupLanguage property, the Displayxslt property value is ignored. If the EkML file contains the
IncludeIconsproperty acts as True.
See also: listsummary.ekml
- MaxResults (Integer)
Enter the maximum number of items to appear in the initial display of this server control.
If you enter no value or 0 (zero), the maximum is 50. This is done for performance reasons.
To let site visitors view more than the maximum but limit the amount of space being occupied, enter the maximum number of results per page here. Then, set the
EnablePagingproperty to True.
If you do and more than the number of
MaxResultsare available, navigation aids appear below the last item to help the site visitor view additional items. See example below.
- OrderBy (Ektron.Cms.Controls.CmsWebService.TeasersOrderBy)
NOTE: For releases 8.0.1 and later the OrderKey property has been replaced by this OrderBy property.
Sort the list by one of the values.
- Title. Content Title
- DateModified. Date content last modified
- DateCreated. Date content created
- LastEditorFname. First name of user who last edited content
- LastEditorLname. Last name of user who last edited content
- Start Date. Go Live date of content
- Rated. Business Analytics Content Rating
- ContentViewCount. Business Analytics Content Views
- OrderbyDirection (Ektron.Cms.Controls.CmsWebService.OrderByDirection)
How to order the hyperlinks on the list. The sort field is determined by the
- ascending. Hyperlinks are arranged A, B, C or 1,2,3.
- descending. Hyperlinks are arranged Z, Y, X or 3,2,1
If sorting by date, descending puts the most recent first.
Set to True if you want to randomly display one content block in the specified folder. The content changes each time a user views the page.
- True. Randomly display one content block.
- False. Display the list summary normally.
If you use a custom XSLT or EkML file, the type of content displayed can be manipulated. For example, if you use an EkML file that has the [$Html] variable in it, the actual content appears instead of a link. See also: Ektron Markup Language and [$Html]
- Recursive (Boolean)
Determines if the display includes content in child folders of the selected folder.
- True. Include content from child folders.
- False. Do not include content from child folders.
- SelTaxonomyID (Integer)
Set the ID of the taxonomya content-level categorization system that uses one-to-many relationships (such as Ronald Reagan is to Actor, Governor, and President) to create a scalable organization of content. A taxonomy lets your site visitors navigate content independent of the folder structure. that content will be associated with when a logged in site visitor uses the Silver Access Point’s Add HTML Content to add content to a list summary server control.
- SuppressWrapperTags (Boolean)
Suppresses the output of the span/div tags around the control.
- True. Suppress wrap tags.
- False (default). Allow wrap tags.
- WrapTag (String)
Lets a developer specify a server control’s tag.
- Span (default). Designate an inline portion of an HTML document as a span element.
- Div. Apply attributes to a block of code.
- Custom. Lets you use a custom tag.
Retrieving the XML structure of a list summary
Retrieving the XML structure of XML content allows for greater control over developing XSLs. The following example shows how to retrieve the XML structure.
- Open a new Web form.
- Drag and drop a ListSummary server control onto it.
- Set the
- Drag and drop a textbox on the Web form.
- Set the
TextModeproperty to MultiLine.
NOTE: You should set the width of the text box to at least 400px.
- On the code-behind page, add the following line.
Textbox1.Text = ListSummary1.XmlDoc.InnerXml
- Build the project.
- View the Web form in a browser.
- The ListSummary’s XML structure appears in the textbox.